[gcompris-devel] Applying as a student for GSoC

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Apr 5 20:52:06 UTC 2011

Le mardi 05 avril 2011 à 11:31 +0530, Karthik S a écrit :
> Hi sir,
>
> Yes, I learnt "Carnatic Music" and I think I have enough knowledge to
> implement this.
> This particular (Pentatonic scale) translates to a 'Raaga' called 'Mohanam'
> in Carnatic Music.
> So till now I have collected Music in Mohanam Raaga and also am collecting
> Music with English Lyrics so that it can be used widely.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnatic_music
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohanam
>
> My previous project was to build a musical keyboard using c++. But I did not
> use any external APIs, used the native sound() function. I set up a
> particular frequency for each note and assigned a particular key in the
> keyboard to play that note. It was a great hit and fetched me the first
> prize in a programming competition at my place.

Can I see the code source you produced at that time.

> So my proposal apart from the previous project I mentioned will be like
>
>    - Add a music library : probably to play MIDI which goes in hand with
>    playing musical notes.

Midi has always been problematic, especially for multi-platform
application. I would prefer that we get the notes as wav files and play
them when needed or use a library like csound.

>    - Add a Musical Keyboard playing activity which is again not totally fun
>    based but learning activity. Each note is mapped to each key in the keyboard
>    and thus allows the user to play a particular song by him/herself.

It's a free play mode or there is a goal, if not how do you qualify it
as learning activity ?

>    - Now this requires training. Another feature of this application will be
>    like giving the input in the form of notes in a text file. eg : C D E A G C
>    This will also have another variable with respect to time (sustain : for how
>    long the note has to continue) so the input will now look like C(2) D(1)
>    E(4) A(1) G(1) C(5) . Thus this is how the notes can be stored and allowed
>    to play.

Does the children have a real time feedback with a time line or
something ?

>    - We could also add another game based on Rhythm :
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_game . This will consist of pressing
>    the right button at the right time. It is proved to increase the player's
>    sense of rhythm a lot. So a music will be playing in the background and
>    players must press the buttons at a precise time corresponding to the
>    sequence dictated on the screen which will sync with the music played at the
>    back.

I like it, it's like frets on fire in the concept but we don't need the
3D stuff. This is very addictive and fun.
http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/

> I think this will be enough for the 3 month workload you mentioned.

That sounds reasonable.

> Am getting ready with the Exact formatted proposal now.Also please let me know
> what other things should I show to prove my technical knowledge.

I don't remember if I asked you about your contributions to free
software, if so mention it in you application.