[gcompris-devel] Gcompris British (en_gb) voice (not American)

Chi Fu Chim pcchi.it at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:21:39 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I like Gcompris and introduce it to people when possible.

Being in the UK, I find the American English voice to be a turn off for many
people. Those not from the UK probably do not find this an issue (or even
hear the differences) with the English sounds as people around the world are
probably more used to the American way of pronunciations and voice patterns.
Since Gcompris is aimed at young children, people here would like a more
British sounding voice.

I am wondering is there someone already recording British sounds for
Gcompris?

If not, I might see about giving it a go (need to find someone with a good
standard English accent first, there are so many different accents here),
but do not want to duplicate work if someone else is already doing it.

I assume I just need to record all the words in the voices folder with the
same file names and send them to the developer team.

One problem this will introduce is that the GB flag is used for English in
the settings, an American flag will need to be introduced to differentiate
between the two voices; probably should have a separate American setting
anyway as some words are spelt differently.

Many Thanks

Chi Fu