[gcompris-devel] suggest don't use a flag to represent a language in language selector in both GCompris software and website

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 13:55:16 UTC 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:10:17 +0200
Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:

> Le samedi 24 avril 2010 à 17:58 +0800, littlebat a écrit :
> > Freedom software is for human beings, for languages, and not for
> > countries.
>
> Hum, everyone can have its reasons to use or develop free software.
> Personally I have nothing against countries in general.
>
> > I found in GCompris V9.3Beta2, there is a "flag" of Taiwan to
> > represent the Traditional Chinese in language selector. This will
> > cause a critical argument concerning politics. As known, the "flag" of
> > Taiwan can't be used most areas in this world. So, it also should
> > can't be used in GCompris.
>
> Well this is a tough issue that span well beyond the scope of GCompris.
>
> I agree that we have to take care of the sensibility of all children and
> of all cultures. My hope is to help children progress in their learning,
> we don't need to offence anybody for that.
>
> By the way Marc Levivier who manages the paintings activity in GCompris
> sent me a new set of puzzle to replace some that were considered
> offending by some persons (nudity, blood). I still have to integrate
> them.
>
> > GCompris is a freedom software for human beings, so it should avoid
> > politics issue, I think.
>
> I also agree but one way or another if we keep the flag or remove it we
> will offence a country or another.
>
> > Language <> country.
>
> Yes, it does not always make sense to have a flag per country. So far a
> flag in GCompris should be the one of the country in which this language
> is the most prevalent. For Arabic which spans multiple countries we
> invented a green flag that I hope gives a good representation.
>
> > For our common goal, I suggest cancel flags in both GCompris software
> > and website to avoid this issue.
>
> I am not sure this is the way to go. I checked and we don't have an asia
> map for the geography activity. A contribution is welcome BTW. Let's say
> we do it, I don't see how we could avoid putting Taiwan there.
>
> So yes removing the flags would solve the issue and they are not really
> correct anyway. But they give a good opportunity to children to discover
> country flags. Another option would be to show the flags in the
> geography activity itself. It would be more accurate but again the
> Taiwan flag would be there.
>
> I am open for discussion, what do other think ?
>

> --
> Bruno Coudoin
> http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids
> http://toulibre.org  Logiciel Libre à Toulouse
> http://april.org     Promouvoir et défendre le Logiciel Libre

It isn't every thing that we should include into GCompris to teach children. We should focus on some things and avoid some things. We should avoid something maybe cause all kinds of issues, politics, religion, etc....

For example, if someone post a map of a country. but, a part of this country is also claimed by another country. If GCompris adopt this map, then that another country will complain; on the other side, if we adopt another country's idea about this controversial part, then the previous country will complain. How we can do? The best way is avoiding this. That is, don't create this map in GCompris, I think. We should focus on those educational goals that we can do better.

So, maybe, missing some maps or some other things in GCompris's activities isn't alway a bad thing, I think. Some times, incomplete thing maybe a good thing. Let's keep it as it is now.

--
littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com>