[gcompris-devel] suggest don't use a flag to represent a language in language selector in both GCompris software and website

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 15:46:02 UTC 2010

>> Freedom software is for human beings, for languages, and not for
>> countries.

>Hum, everyone can have its reasons to use or develop free software.
>Personally I have nothing against countries in general.

I don't against the countries should exist in this world currently. I want to say, for free software, we should focus on using free software to benefit every person in the world, and every person who speak different language in the world. This beyond the boundary of the country.

I am not only talk about the "flag" of Taiwan, but also a problem of using flag of a country to represent a language.

There are rare place in this world to use a flag to represent a language. If we do so, this will cause issue some time, for example, using "flag" of Taiwan ( this flag appears in the GCompris  Configuration toolbar to select Chinese (Traditional) language ) in GCompris will offend many people in the world, I think.

Like most of the multilingual website in the world (e.g., http://www.wikipedia.org/ ), we remove  all the flags which represent languages from the website and software will not offend anyone.

GCompris Configuration toolbar language selector or GCompris website language selector isn't a proper place to learn the flags of countries for children. Parent or teacher has configured the GCompris include language, the children just start to enjoy.

My english isn't well, hope I haven't misunderstood your meaning or express the sentences that isn't my meaning :-)

--
littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com>