[gcompris-devel] Ideas to improve Gcompris

Sérgio Durigan Júnior sergiosdj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 23:48:34 UTC 2009

Hello,

First, I would like to introduce myself.  I am a student at a
Brazilian University (Unicamp), attending a graduation course entitled
"Communitary Informatics".  Me and other 2 fellows are interested in
contributing to Gcompris.  After some discussion about what would be a
good thing to do in three months of work (it's kind of a minimal
"Summer of Code"), we came up with basically three ideas:

1) Implement (or improve, if it already exists) support in the program
in order to be better used by colorblind people.  It would take some
time to research and decide how to do it, but we think it's feasible.

2) Implement other games.  This is the most "superficial" idea (for
now), we would have to discuss and see what kind of new games we'd
implement.

3) Integrate Gcompris with Greenfoot (http://www.greenfoot.org/),
enabling the users to run the games (see http://greenfootgallery.org/
for example) written in this environment.  At first, we don't think
that it would be necessary to integrate Greenfoot's API with Gcompris,
since (we believe) most of the kids using Gcompris wouldn't know how
to create the games.  We are also studying Greenfoot to see if this
option is really feasible, so there's a chance that we discard this
idea later.

Anyway, given the options above, we would like to know from Gcompris
community:  what did you like?  Of course, new ideas (or variations of
the ideas listed above) are very much welcome :-).

Thank you in advance,

Sérgio.