[gcompris-devel] Assistance Setting Up Gcompris on Linux Mint 7 XFCE "Gloria"

David Greenberg dgreenberg at maxdora.com
Fri Oct 16 23:55:12 UTC 2009

I am trying to get Gcompris setup on a Linux Mint XFCE 7 "Gloria" laptop.

I installed via the Synaptic Package Manager GCompris 8.4.4-1.1ubuntu4
(jaunty).  (The download included gcompris, gcompris-data and
gcompris-sound-en.)  When I try to launch GCompris, I see it appear to start
in the task bar, but then nothing happens.

Trying to launch from the command line I get the following:

jennifer at jennifer-laptop ~ $ gcompris
exec_prefix NULL
XF86VidMode: Compiled with XF86VidMode.
If you have problems starting GCompris in fullscreen, try the -x option to
disable XF86VidMode.

** (process:5817): WARNING **: Binary relocation disabled
package_data_dir         = /usr/share/gcompris/boards
package_locale_dir       = /usr/share/locale
package_plugin_dir       = /usr/lib/gcompris
package_python_plugin_dir= /usr/share/gcompris/python
Infos:
   Config dir '/home/jennifer/.config/gcompris'
   Users dir '/home/jennifer/My GCompris'
   Database '/home/jennifer/.config/gcompris/gcompris_sqlite.db'
Exception ImportError: 'No module named Numeric' in 'garbage collection'
ignored
Fatal Python error: unexpected exception during garbage collection
Aborted

Looking at the error messages, does this infer that I am missing
python-numeric?

Thanks for your help.

Dave