[gcompris-devel] Guide for manual compilation of Gcompris under UBUNTU - updated for v9.04 (Jaunty)

Jorge Mariano JMariano at 013.net
Thu May 14 19:58:35 UTC 2009

Just to make the life easier to some people who would like to install
Gcompris on their systems and still did not get their .DEB packages and
are ready to compile the source code themselves.
here is what I'm using to compile Gcompris on my Ubuntu system:

1) install Gcompris (old version) that is available from the synaptic
manager

1.1) get all the dependencies:
      a)  open a terminal and type

          sudo apt-get build-dep gcompris

      b)  sudo aptitude install libgnet-dev python-pysqlite2

2) get the latest source package from:

3) unpack in a temp directory of your choice

  tar -xvf gcompris-X.X.tar.gz

4) start the compilation / installation

cd gcompris-8.4.x

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

Enjoy !

Jorge

PS I had to add the 2 dependencies manually because the old version of
Gcompris that comes in Ubuntu did not needed before.