[gcompris-devel] Guide for manual compilation of Gcompris under UBUNTU

Jorge Mariano JMariano at 013.net
Sat Mar 14 09:22:48 UTC 2009

Just to make the life easier to some people who would like to install
Gcompris on their systems and still did not get their .DEB packages and
are ready to compile the source code themselves.
here is what I'm using to compile Gcompris on my Ubuntu system:

1) install all the dependencies:

sudo aptitude install libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libxml2-dev
libglib2.0-dev libexpat1-dev gettext libxxf86vm-dev gnuchess texi2html
libgnet-dev libsqlite3-dev python2.5-dev libsdl1.2-dev
libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgnomecanvas2-dev python-gnome2-dev
python-gnome2-extras intltool python-pysqlite2

2) get the latest  source package from:

<cid:part1.06090901.03010204 at 013.net>

3) unpack in a temp directory of your choice

 tar -xvf gcompris-X.X.tar.gz

4) start the compilation / installation

cd gcompris-8.4.x

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

Enjoy !

Jorge

PS it would be good if other people using other systems would post their
way of installing in to their version of their systems.