[gcompris-devel] Possible extension for scale?

Wolfram Sang wolfram at iswi.org
Sun Jun 28 14:38:47 UTC 2009

Hello,

my girlfriend meanwhile successfully used gcompris in a 4th grade class
to teach about "weight". As the time pressure of this deadline is gone
now, I am finally able to ask if you maybe are interested in one of our
extensions. You can find a screenshot here:

http://www.the-dreams.de/projects/gcompris-scale.jpg

As you can see, the weights are not just "1,2,5,10" anymore. The game
now works with a granularity of 1g, so the weights in our sets range
from 100g to 3000g. An additional thing is, that weights of "n * 500g"
can also be expressed in kg, so the children need to convert the unit.
(This is an objective for 4th grade maths in Lower Saxony/Germany)

One thing which makes me hesitate is that there may be parts of the
world, where g and kg are not primarily used? Then again, it is a SI-unit.

At the moment, our extension has an own source-file. Before a possible
inclusion, I would need to do a bit of refactoring, as I think the
original scale.c could hold both versions, selectable using "mode".
Before I do that, I just wanted to know if there is interest and if so,
my idea of patching scale.c seems apropriate?

Kind regards,

    Wolfram