[gcompris-devel] RFC: improvements to the admin module for wordlist/wordgame and missing_letter

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sat Jan 17 23:54:37 UTC 2009

Sorry for my late answer.

Le jeudi 15 janvier 2009 à 17:53 +0100, miguel2i at free.fr a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I send you the patch for wordlist editing.
> This is in gcompris core and is enable in reading and
> wordsgame boards.
>
> This patch add a new file board_config_wordlist.c which is include
> in board_config.c

Hum, this is not very clean to include one .c in another. By the way, I
did not succeeded in compiling your patch. Do you really include it this
way, then where in board_config.c do you include it. Do you have a new
version I could test ?

> In board_config.c, gc_locale_gets_list() find locale list
> from po directory when program is launch from gcompris source
> directory when DEBUG is define.
>
> I find problems in board_config.c :
>  - this file is too long (more than 1200 lines). This file
> should be split into board_config_textview.c ... etc
>  - board_config.c use too many static variables (examples: conf_window,
> main_conf_box, hash_conf, Confcallback)
> I'm going to work in this next week.

OK, I don't remember of this code, if you see cleanup oportunities,
please do them.

> Word lists are saved in gcompris package_data_dir
> boards/wordsgame/default-$LOCALE.xml but this directory is always not
> writeable.

True.

> In this case, in which directory custom wordlist should be saved ?
> In User directory ?

In the home directory, we create a directory named "My GCompris". It is
where we save the children work. We can use it to save the word list.

> And how to diffuse custom word list ?
> Use --server option ?
> How to prepare custom files for server use ?

The server option was a prototype and it never get that far. I removed
it from the code. In KDE they have a system for that called "get hot new
stuff" if I remember. We have nothing of the like. For now, lets keep
this feature out, we will see later.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids