[gcompris-devel] GCompris 8.5PRE for N900 - speed issues ahead

Terje Bergström terje at terje.fi
Thu Dec 31 18:04:03 UTC 2009

On 31.12.2009, at 13.45, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Hum, yes I also see lags when running the version on my Atom based
> aspire one. It is still useable on it but this show evidence that there
> is a problem there. By the way, I just digged again in my code in
> goocanvassvg.c especially the search limit function which I am trying to
> improve. Once done I'll run a callgrind on it to see where we loose our
> time.

Ok, good that it's not only ARM architecture specific issue. I'll try to install oprofile to my N900 and see if I can get a rough analysis on which libraries in gcompris take up most of the time. This would at least tell me if it's librsvg as I suspect.

I did try to hunt through the net if somebody's figured out an optimum optimization flag set for N900, but couldn't find anything.

> What is your screen resolution ? GCompris has to rescale the screen to
> fit the N910 and now with cairo it does anti aliasing which takes for
> sure more CPU than the gnome canvas did. Perhaps it's the explanation.

Device details are listed in http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900/. The resolution is 800x480. Doesn't gcompris nowadays use SVG and thus everything is always re-rasterized to correct size?

Terje