[gcompris-devel] Several PNG images are uncompressed and takes too much space, please fix this in new release

Mantas Kriaučiūnas mantas at akl.lt
Fri May 9 13:11:26 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've found one bug in Gcompris, which is very easy to fix.
PNG images are uncompressed in some boards and take too much space, for
example "geography_country" board currently takes 5 MB space, but after
compressing png files with pngcrush tool it takes only 0.9 MB !!! As
you see this is about 6 times smaller !!!

Compressing these .png files will free the most space:

pngcrush -d new_canada/ geography_country/canada_region/*.png
pngcrush -d new_brazil/ geography_country/brazil/*.png
pngcrush -d new_turkey/ geography_country/turkey_district/*.png
pngcrush -d new_misc/ gcompris/misc/*.png

please fix this before you release next version.
I think the best solution would be running pngcrush before each release -
this tool doesn't change images, which are already optimally compressed.

Also you can convert .wav files from boards/sounds and boards/sounds/melody
into .ogg, this also would save more than 1 MB

OGG files in boards/music/ also are too big (more than 14 Mb) for
background music - I've recompressed these from original uncompressed
sources with oggenc (AFAIK I used -q3 or -q4 switch) and now they take
only 8 Mb, so 6 Mb saved !

For same reasons it would be wise to use .jpg images for photos and other
content, where high quality isn't important, for example for dog photos in
boards/babyshapes/ or files boards/writing_tutor/wood*png

While hard disks are big these days, but most of Linux distors still are
distributed through 700 Mb CD's, so every megabyte is important there
Because of big Gcompris size it was excluded from Edubuntu CD, so, please
make Gcompris package as small as possible and increase chances to
include Gcompris in Linux CD's

--
Labanaktis/Good luck,
Mantas Kriaučiūnas	 Jabber ID: mantas at akl.lt 	 GPG ID: 43535BD5