[gcompris-devel] Installing Gcompris offline on Ubuntu

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Mar 23 13:23:01 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 23 mars 2008 à 14:51 +0200, Samuel Murray a écrit :
> Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>
> > I never used it but synaptic let you download a package and it's
> > dependancies on one computer and replay the script on another one.
>
> I had also thought that it might be possible, but a web search (and
> checking the user manual) for how to do it came up with nothing.
>
> I did check the Ubuntu forums and they seem to be excited about a thing
> called apt-zip, but although I had managed to install it, I haven't been
> able to get it to work (first I need to figure out how to get root on
> Ubuntu, and it is not as simple as they make it appear).

To get root, you must log on as the first user you created at Ubuntu installation time and run 'sudo su -'
At this point, you will be requested for the user password.
You can also give the administration right to any user, again by login as the first user and going in the system menu -> admin -> user.

Now I understand better the process on how to do this using synaptics.
You start synaptic on a non connected pc.
- select gcompris in the list,
- select gcompris-sound-<your locale> if it exists
- menu file->generate package download script
  (let's call the file gcompris.sh)

On a connected pc, copy gcompris.sh in /tmp and in a console create a
directory for our package and download the package in it with:
mkdir gcompris
cd gcompris
/tmp/gcompris.sh

Now, copy the directory gcompris on your usb drive.

Back on the non connected pc:
- copy the directory in /tmp/ (so that you have /tmp/gcompris/)
- from synaptic, go in file -> add downloaded packages
- select /tmp/gcompris
- GCompris packages should be detected now and listed under
  'To be installed', just click Apply.

Please tell us if this works.