[gcompris-devel] Bug in imagename game

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Sep 28 22:00:21 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 28 septembre 2007 à 17:30 -0400, GoatTuber a écrit :
> The instructions for the game are pretty simple, "Drag and Drop each
> item onto its name", but it doesn't actually work that way. If you
> drag an image onto its name, it goes back to the bar on the left. The
> images have to be dragged to the dot above the name. I think the "hot
> spot" for where you drag it to should be extended all the way down to
> the name.

That makes sense but it's not so obvious to implement. It means having
to support a hot spot title and a drop location. Even with small
children, it should be easy to let them know this, probably they can
experiment and find out by themselves.

> Also, just a thought, but the help screens in GCompris can be quite
> confusing, especially for a child. Could the current help data
> possibly be moved to the GCompris Administration, and have simpler
> instructions put into GCompris itself?

It could be but it as a mayor drawback, many parent and / or teachers
won't see it. It would be long to search the help for them. Start
another application, find the activity you are interested is not
obvious, even for many teachers.

I don't agree with your proposal but I agree that we miss a little
instruction for each activity. What would really work and should be
mandatory for our lowest level activities is a spoken instruction at
activity startup.

I just checked and there are 40 difficulty 1 activity. It seems like
some should not be 1. For example we have memory_mult_div at difficulty
one !. We need some cleanup here, if someone can review the activities
and report mistakes here. The official definition is not very strict as
it's difficult for an international stand point to make something that
works everywhere. Now if someone has a better idea, that would be fine.

The stars show suitable age groups for each game:
    1, 2 or 3 simple stars  - from 2 to 6 years old
    1, 2 or 3 complex stars - 7 years and up

So maybe, we could record about 30 activities introduction. Do you thing
it's worth it ?

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids