[gcompris-devel] Release 8.4 is online

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Wed Sep 19 22:05:30 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 19 septembre 2007 à 13:38 +0200, José JORGE a écrit :
> Le Tuesday 18 September 2007 18:56:34 Terje Bergström, vous avez écrit :
> > Sample rates 44100, 11025, etc seem to be ok, but samples with rample rate
> > 11127 and 8012 will just freeze the audio sink even with gst-launch.
> > Converting them to 11025 and 8000 fixes the problem.
> >
> > Would it be possible to provide all audio files with a reasonably standard
> > sample rate?
> These files were taken from tuxpaint, and I think they should be converted to
> ogg, in order to have one codec only.

It could make sense and I went this path originaly but reverted to wav.
The problem is that ogg is too slow to start decoding. It means that
it's not appropriate for sound effects. For example, in previous
versions of GCompris, the sound feedback on a menu click was not in sync
with the user event. We fixed ogg files to use 44100 Hz, I am ok to
apply the same rule to our wav files.