[gcompris-devel] geography error

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Sep 18 21:12:08 UTC 2007

Le mardi 18 septembre 2007 à 22:07 +0200, Michel Franckart a écrit :
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 21:36, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > Le vendredi 14 septembre 2007 à 16:57 +0300, Yannis a écrit :
> > > In "geography" activity (Locate the countries) I can't listen the greek
> > > name of the countires after the level 3. When I'm trying to the level 4
> > > (North Africa) and above there isn't sound of the countries. I did the
> > > ./tools/check_missing_voices.pl el and I got missing files which indeed
> > > are placed to the /sounds/el/geography.
> > > Any help?
> >
> > This is because we never added voices for countries after level 3. I
> > would like to take the opportunity to ask the question, is having the
> > country spoken instead of written a very important thing for this
> > activity.
> >
> > A little history of this activity, originally, there was no tooltip
> > displayed for each country so that it was mandatory to have voices but
> > now with the tooltip, the voice is redundant. Also, is a mess to make,
> > distribute and manage voices, it's best to limit their usage to cases
> > where they bring a lot to the educational aspect.
>
> Pardon me, Bruno. I find very distinct voice so important,
> and even essential to introduce the child to a foreign language
>  (English in particular, they will need it !)

No need to pardon, I am open and expect a discussion, not a blind
agreement. I agree with you and would love to see GCompris better at
learning a foreign language. The geography activity, even if played in a
foreign language is of poor value. Having an activity where we speak
words and the children must rewrite them would be much more efficient
and does not requires much more work.

> But I have no idea about  the mess.

I take care of the mess, don't worry for that but I don't like to do
this if it's is not useful.

> A native French speaker, like you.

Bienvenue ;). I don't understand why, since GCompris has always been
developed in English there are so many French over there.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids