[gcompris-devel] No available audio device

jjorge at free.fr jjorge at free.fr
Fri Oct 26 12:58:04 UTC 2007

Citando Ricardo Oliveira <reiracofage at gmail.com>:

> Hi!
> When I run Gcompris 6.5.2, I get this message:
>
> Mix_OpenAudio: No available audio device.
> : No available audio device.
>
> Is there an option to use ESD [esound]?
> Gcompris uses ALSA or OSS?
> I haven't found this information in documentation...

GCompris uses SDL to play sounds until version 8.4. The default SDL output
depends on your distribution choices. You can configure SDL to output to ESD.

As you use a somewhat old version of GCompris, I strongly recommend you to use a
more recent version : lots of bugs have been corrected and new activities are
avaliable.

And all recent distributions are configured with ALSA dmix which allows multiple
software playing at the same time without an external daemon.

José