[gcompris-devel] Performance issues

Terje Bergström terje at terje.fi
Tue Oct 9 18:07:04 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 20:12:09 Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Even if you resize the images at build time, it won't solve the problem.
> It will even get worse. Let's take an example, you have an image that is
> 400x300. When GCompris is run at 800x600, its native resolution, there
> are no resize to do. When you run GCompris in a smaller or bigger
> windows, the canvas will rescale the image accordingly, whatever the
> original image size.

In N800, the display is always in 800x480 resolution. Is help_bg.png used in
different sizes in different contexts? If not, I could assume target
resolution (640x480) and rescale at build time to optimize for that.
Currently it seems that the file is 722x526.

In next version of operating system, gtk is built with support for floating
point coprocessor enabled. In current version floating point emulation is
used. I don't know if gdk-pixbuf scaling is floating point intensive, but
this might help.

Of course, SVG would also help if the SVG files are not too complex. Complex
vector graphics can be slower than scaling bitmaps.

Best regards,
Terje