[gcompris-devel] Problem with Gcompris crashing Kubuntu 7.04

Matthew Collier matt at collierm.com
Tue Jul 31 18:50:33 UTC 2007

>>  This is weird. Are you having such lockups only within GCompris, or
also with other applications ? When a lockup happen, can you switch to
a text-console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), and see what happens ?

This only happens with Gcompris.  I haven't tried CTRL+ALT+F1 but I will try
that next time.  I can sometimes task switch to a Konsole that I already
have running, do a "ps -ef | grep compris", kill the process and start
again.

>> This typically happens when your physical resolution is smaller than
your virtual resolution. Maybe you can try Ctrl Alt + or Ctrl Alt - to
adjust your physical resolution, so that it matches the virtual
resolution. But that's just a workaround, you should not fall in such
troubles.

I am running 1280x1024 and have tried both the default, 800x600 and the max
in Gcompris, 1024x768.  Any other suggestions?  Is there any debugging I can
run to send to you?

>> Does this particular problem also happens randomly, or everytime you use
GCompris ?

Randomly, it seems.  Sometimes some screens do it, others not, and I can't
spot a pattern for when it does and does not do it.

I also realise I didn't mention before, but, this is a brand new install of
7.04 from scratch, I'm new to Linux so please forgive any stupid mistakes I
make or strange things I may say or if I don't know what should be obvious
things....! :)

Cheers,

Matt.