[gcompris-devel] Cannot install Gcompris on Fedora...

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu May 13 12:49:05 UTC 2004

Le jeu 13/05/2004 à 14:57, Andrea Giuliano a écrit :
> Sorry, I posted the same messages every time a new versione was issued,
> but what else could I do? I just downloaded version 5.2 (the file
> "gcompris-5.2-1.i586.rpm", to be precise), and that is the output of
> "rpm -U gcompris-5.2-1.i586.rpm":
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         gdk-pixbuf-gnomecanvas is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>         gnome-python is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>         gnome-python-canvas is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>         pygtk2.0 is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>         libcrypto.so.0.9.7 is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>         libpython2.3.so.1.0 is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>         libssl.so.0.9.7 is needed by gcompris-5.2-1
>
> Please note that my Fedora is just Core 1, up to date. I don't have any
> development packages, just the updates to Fedora Core 1.
>
> By the way, the advisory on Gcompris web site says that no more GNOME is
> needed in order to install Gcompris, so why do the first three lines
> above appear in the output?

Well, when I say no more gnome, I don't mean no more gtk. That's another
issue. There is a link on gcompris for the fedora packages. did you
tried them ?

> Best regards. And many congratulations for the Windows port, it's a very
> good idea: I have many friends who are really looking forward to playing
> it! Are there plans for a Java port, too?

Thanks for your encouragement.

For java, I don't see the point. now that gcompris is cross-platform,
why yould java be needed. If I had to go this path, I would definitly go
the mono path since it includes the gnomecanvas that gcompris relies on
for its graphics.