[gcompris-devel] Segmentation fault CVS

stasZ stas at linux.isbeter.nl
Sat Jan 31 01:32:26 UTC 2004

On 2004.01.29 20:36, Olivier Samyn wrote:

>> I agree also. That's two different use cases but both approach could
>> help. I already discussed with Stasz (from childsplay) about the
>> opportunity
>> to rewrite in python the gcompris core so that we could provide a
>> 100%
>> python gcompris with the boards in python. These board could be
>> provided
>> for windows as well without effort. But let's not dream, this is a
>> lot
>> of work.
>>
> Seems a good idea from a interoperability point of view...
>
> But I like the actual idea of having a framework written in C and
> some facilities to implement the different modules in python or why
> not other languages (If some one is interested I may try to recycle
> what is done for python in an other language).

May i just put the usual comment here: KIS ;)

> But this framework needs probably a better gui abstraction layer than
> gnome-canvas.
>
> I think maybe a first step will be something like define a gcompris-
> canvas API.
> The first implementation will use direct gnome-canvas calls, but with
> time we may port this gcompris-canvas to other targets like for
> example pygame.

No, you should think about this kind of things . If you want to change,
change it to something in one go, it may be more work but picking
a good solution is (IMHO) better then trying different things as one
goes. (Galeon comes to mind)

> This will need a lot of work on definition of this canvas and on
> existing modules rewrite but... we will get some evolution...:)
>
> There are also maybe some other projects interested in such a way of
> doing... and we may interact...

Consider childsplay which is a Python/pygame based app.
Dependencies very few, port to windows in one afternoon.

I defenitly think that Python and the different bindings is the
future for Linux. (for most solutions)

> But let's talk about all of this maybe as freedem...
> Building futur is easier when all actors are round a table with a
> good Belgian beer ;)

I don't know you but i like you already :-) see you there.

Stas

--
"There are only 10 types of people in this world:
 Those who understand binary, and those who don't."