[gcompris-devel] gcompris summit the 21,22/2 at the Freedem in Bruxelle/Belgium

stasZ stas at linux.isbeter.nl
Fri Jan 23 02:21:01 UTC 2004

On 2004.01.23 01:21, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> > BTW, i've been in contact/contributing to a project which is aimed
> > at learning children to program.
> > (The original developers seems to busy todo anything else but
> commit
> > my changes to cvs, so i think i'll fork it)
> >
> > This freedem is perhaps a good opportunity to show/demonstrate it ?
> >

> Sure, I am interrested. What's this ?

I took a piece of their website:
At this point, you are probably asking yourself, What is GvR,
specifically? The gist of it is that it is a robot represented by a
triangle on the screen that moves around in a world made up of streets
and avenues, walls and beepers, which Guido can collect or set. His
actions are completely guided by a program written by the user.

It's a simple editor and actionscreen and you can program the robot
with a very simple langauge.
It's all in english which is difficult for children, so i made a
translator which is now part of the parser, to provide langauge support
for the programming langauge aswell as for the app itself.

They have also lessons which is ofcourse just as important.

I gave them a "wake up call" in the form of a "intend to fork" mail
and it worked :-)
Things are moving to a more serious and active state.

I suggest to visit the website,
http://gvr.sourceforge.net

But be aware if you want to download it, DON'T use the sf download
it's broken :-(, use the one from the website.
I'm gonna change that asap.

Stas Z

"There are only 10 types of people in this world:
 Those who understand binary, and those who don't."