[gcompris-devel] missing letters

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Tue Feb 10 04:10:01 UTC 2004

I've been working with gletters.c, and either I'm going crazy or
something is broken that I can't find.

Some letters are generated, and are accounted for in the falling letters
items, but never show up on the screen.

Here's  a result from a recent run (I stuck a couple of print statements
in gletters_create_item; the x is the horizontal position on the screen):

created char: t
x: 632, char: t
created char: h
x: 453, char: h
created char: e
x: 297, char: e
created char: r
x: 365, char: r
created char: k
x: 283, char: k
created char: s
x: 466, char: s
created char: z
x: 391, char: z
created char: i
x: 477, char: i
created char: x
x: 638, char: x
created char: s
x: 550, char: s
created char: z
x: 155, char: z
created char: d
x: 245, char: d
created char: m
x: 425, char: m
created char: t
x: 530, char: t
created char: f
x: 94, char: f
created char: c
x: 385, char: c
created char: g
x: 479, char: g
created char: o
x: 407, char: o
created char: l
x: 325, char: l

but here's what appears on the screen:

r k s z i x z d m t f g

t h e are missing, so is c.  The o and l I think showed up, but the game
ended.  This appears to come and go with no apparent reason.

I can hear the "crash" as the missing letters drop out the bottom, and
there is a time gap as they are created, but they don't appear on the
screen.  The only thing I can think of is that gletters_create_item is
failing to create the pixmaps, but why some letters and not others I
have no idea.  The missing letters do not stay constant; they vary from
run to run.  I thought perhaps that they were being created off-screen,
but the x coordinate doesn't show any pattern either.

I am working with gcompris 5.0.

Any ideas?  I am clueless as to why this is happening.

--Yan

Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)     ,>/'_   o__     o__
Cardinal Engineering, Inc. (_)\(_)  ,>/'_   ,>/'_
http://www.cardinalengineering.com (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq