[gcompris-devel] Gcompris usability problems and other bugreports

Mantas Kriaučiūnas monte at mail.lt
Fri Feb 6 09:39:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

We (my wife and me) are Lithuanian translators (and bug reporters :) )
of gcompris. Gcompris has already reached 5 version, which should assure
high stability and user-friendliness, we think. Pitt, but in some cases
gcompris 1.0 was more user-friendly than 5.0 :(.

Noticed bugs, which we believe have to be fixed before next stable version:

1. Usability bugs in activities with side panels (yellow area at left) -
"Discover the Computer"->"Baby Shape Puzzle", "Amusement
activities"->"Place the lands", "Board activities"->"Make the puzlle"
and "Reading activities"->"Image Name"

  * Why only one figure is displayed at first side panel (yellow area at
left) and all other 5 at second? We think, that first side panel should
be full and only not fitting in figures should be placed on the second,
etc side panels.
  * Why the second panel (with 5 other figures) isn't displayed
automatically when last figure from first side panel is used (moved from
the side panel to white forms)? We think, it is no meaning to display
empty side panel without elements - this only misleads kids.

* When the figure is moved back to side panel, it simply disappears if
not its native side panel is chosen on the left.?

In gcompris 1.x was only one side pane with all items and because of
this it was easier to understand for kids, look at these screenshots:
http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/screenshoots/babyshapes.jpg
http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/screenshoots/imagename.jpg
http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/screenshoots/paintings.jpg

* Btw, in the game "Place the lands" the names of the countries should
be displayed when country is placed on the map. Now it's very hard to
place the lands, even for adults. Look at attached screenshot with empty
side pane.

2. In Configurations:
*It would be much clearlier if the word 'Language' was added besides
language selection buttons. (often it's hard to guess, that the name of
foreign language is the setting to change language).
*Text "You need to restart gcompris for language change" should be
displayed when user changes a language.
*When the language is changed from user default to ex. English and the
program is restarted, the language doesn't change.
*Explanations to buttons - Exit, About Gcompris, Configuration, Help -
should be added when mouse is on them (like we see explanations for
activity or menu icons).
*Just after the start of the game some welcome notice or explanation
like "Choose the icon to find lots of interesting games and activities"
should be added.

3. In About GCompris

*The translators of selected have to be mentioned, so the users could
contact them, if they find incorrectly, unclearly translated or
untranslated items or just wanna talk or say suggestions about gcompris
in native language. This is very easy to realize - just add a string
"Translator Credits" to a gcompris.pot, like all gnome programs (look
for example at nautilus.pot file)

It would be just wonderful if these bugs are fixed before 5.1. Won't be
good if serious bugs of user-friendliness would appear there, I guess.

Perhaps we need to report bugs?

Btw, approximately when new version of gcompris will be released? We
have translated quit a lot of Gcompris 4.2 version to Lithuanian, but
haven't sent it to developers. Current Lithuanian translation status is
very low - look at :
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/lt/fifth-toe/index.html

Would be great if you tell us the exact date of the release (and
approximate hour :) ), so we would send the translation before that date
(even if we won't finish all translation). It will much improve the
current situation of the translation in any case.

If I understand right, latest (gcompris 5.1) Lithuanian .po files are at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/lt/fifth-toe/index.html

aren't they ?

Sincerely, Mantas & Eglė Kriaučiūnai,
Email & Jabber ID: mantas at akl.lt	ICQ: mantiena <44451746>