[gcompris-devel] sound

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Feb 3 18:19:04 UTC 2004

Le mar 03/02/2004 à 13:12, jjorge at free.fr a écrit :
> one idea for the sound problem : kiddykeys (tcl app) use an external sound
> server (sfxserver, I have no problems with it. And as it is external it may be
> very simple to add it as an output way to gcompris... this way we could all
> test without breaking actual output way?
> Here is the url, the sound server is in the tar.gz
> http://kiddykeys.sourceforge.net/

Hum, in the same spirit, I found this one:
http://angrypot.com/soundd/index.html

I am not convince that we should try to do differently. We'd better work
on the sound problem first and understand why it doesn't work as
expected. This probably just a bug somewhere.
Our solution for sounds today has some advantages:
- No installation dependancies
- Based on state of widely available libogg, libao and libvorbis
- support ogg format
- play nice with oss, alsa, asd and arts.
- can be streamed (important for X client with sounds).

BTW, Who is interrested to investigate the sound issues?