[gcompris-devel] Version Windows

stasZ stas at linux.isbeter.nl
Tue Apr 27 02:21:01 UTC 2004

On 2004.04.27 10:24, Christof Petig wrote:
> stasZ schrieb:
>> What's keeping me or someone else from compiling Gcompris on windows
>> and giving it away with the source code ?
>
> The burden of having to set up a working compile environment, the
> burden of having to set up a working runtime environment and the
> burden to pack it nicely using an installer.
>
> I'm still the only one which builds windows binaries for my other
> projects and this is though debian ships a windows compiler/
> environment. And I have set up a public repository which ships gtk-
> win32 debs. It's a menace to correctly set up and get working.
> Remember: MinGW does not yet have a package tool like rpm or dpkg/apt
> for installing extra libraries (gtk...) on windows.

Your right, i'l just make a copy of the original and use that.

> So I would propose the following agreement:
> - Anybody not knowing a gcompris developer which is capable to
> compile the beast is definitely better off buying the CD. [if the
> demo is not enough]
> - Any gcompris developer who managed to build the beast is free to
> ship copies to his/her friends but he must give support (instead of
> redirecting to the mailing list). I s/he sets up a download location
> s/he is cursed to support the poor souls downloading it!
> - You have to think about countries which have difficulties ordering
> CDs from France. Who is going to handle the orders, payments etc?
> This is additional overhead caused by selling something. Perhaps a
> far east/mexican version should be downloadable for free.
> - The build environment might be a bonus of the CD.
>
> This would definitely pacify my GPL infected mind from outcrying
> robbery ;-)
>    Christof

I'm sorry but i don't think it works like that.
First of all, i agree with you but nothing stops someone to just
copy your works and slabs it on a 2 euro CD. (If he's clever he's
putting the source on it to).
Gcompris is not something where you really want to have the books
and support for a fair amount of money like a Linux distro.

I think the moment you put the exe online/sell, the copies are
spreading like wild fire. The price don't make a difference, people
share music on P2P instead of buying them for $0.99.

Needless to say that i'm hoping to be wrong i really hope that Bruno
and others can make a bit of money out of Gcompris :-)

Stas

--
"There are only 10 types of people in this world:
 Those who understand binary, and those who don't."