[gcompris-devel] Python programming in gcompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Wed Oct 8 16:20:05 UTC 2003

I finaly decided to implement a new activity. It will be the water
cycle.

First, I tried to code it in childsplay (http://childsplay.sf.net) with
the help of Stas its author. It uses pygame (python+SDL). I implemented
the start of the game but stopped I found SDL too complex to program.
It's too low level for me. Anyway, peaple wanting to implement high
performance activity should look toward childsplay. It's young but
promising.

Then I found that python is simple and efficient but disliked SDL, so I
decided to have a better look at the python integration that Olivier
Samyn did for us several monthes ago. And frankly it RULES !!!

I am more than happy with this. The code is not complete but was I was
abble to acomplish with so few line and time astonish me. More than the
language itself, you can edit (with emacs of course) your python board
in one window and run gcompris in another. When you want to test you
code, just re-enter the activity your are coding in gcompris. No more
need to compile/reload gcompris !!

Saddly, nobody is developping new activity in gcompris like if this
project was complete. I don't think so, we still have room in gcompris
to bring fun and education to the kids.

Hope it will give ideas to you and have a look at the python way, it
make the thinks much more fun. Olivier made us a great gift with python,
we really have to use it.

I recommend all new activity to be coded in python.