[gcompris-devel] Hello - and some feedback from a newbie

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Nov 13 14:34:18 UTC 2003

Le jeu 13/11/2003 à 22:05, Dennis Reichel a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
> I am new to gcompris, but have been using Linux for many years.  I want to
> have a Linux box at home, and for that to happen, it needs to be useful for
> the family (otherwise I am guilty of bringing
> "junk" into the house :)  Now my 5 year old daughter enjoys using gcompris
> and I have a Linux box in the front room.  (a win-win situation)

Good starting point ;)

> I apologize in advance for the vagueness of some of my statements.  I'm
> writing from work, and have gcompris on a machine at home.

No problem.

> I installed gcompris 4.0 and later 4.1 on a Slackware 9.0 box.   It was
> somewhat difficult to identify what python support libraries needed to be
> installed to get the python plugin capability built into gcompris (according
> to the "configure" program for gcompris, python plugins are now enabled)

Ok, I fixed the INSTALL file, added info regarding python

> I don't have a clue what that does for me, but 4.0 seemed to work the same
> with and without python plugins.

With python, you should have one more board. The game is to find which
one !!
If you give up, check in the new experience menu for the water cycle
activity. It's the python one.

> Some explanation about what python extensions should be used could be
> helpful to python and gcompris newbies.

Sure, there is some explanation already in the news section of the web
site. Don't know yet how to document this.

> Question: is there a library like CPAN is for Perl, but for Python?

No idea.

> There is a typo in the (I don't remember which) README or INSTALL text file
> in both gcompris 4.0 and 4.1.  They mention requiring "xmllib2" when it's
> really "libxml2".

Fixed.

> Also, for the slackware 9.0 installation, I had to build and install the
> latest Gnu Chess program.

Sure, I added it in INSTALL as well

> The command line required to configure and make gcompris has to specify the
> location of the python library and include directories on the Slackware 9.0.

Sounds normal

> Regarding the assetml libraries on sourceforge, some documentation of what
> they are and how they relate to gcompris would be helpful.

Correct, I should add a link to
http://ofset.sourceforge.net//assetml/

> Does anyone "hang out" on the gcompris channel on the irc server mentioned
> in the documentation?

Hum, where is that. I don't remember of this IRC chanel. The only one I
go and not so often is the ofset one.

Bruno.