[gcompris-devel] Windows port Re: refresh bug in the canvas

Christof Petig christof at petig-baender.de
Fri May 23 01:33:09 UTC 2003

Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Op do 22-05-2003, om 11:07 schreef Christof Petig:

>>Yes, I think that a windows port is feasible (though I suspect porting
>>problems with the dynamic loading of boards). And if anybody want's to
>>follow that road, I will happily support him/her with my advice/experience.
>>
>>I'm really busy improving another piece of gtk based software on Windows
>>(http://midgard.berlios.de) to do it myself. But I'm sure gcompris would
>>see a friendly welcome in my son's scool once available on Windows. How
>>many volunteers are we able to collect?
>

> GCompris is also availible on Freeduc (
> http://www.ofset.org/projects/edusoft/edusoft.html ). Isn't that a
> solution?

freeduc/knoppix is a _great_ promotion tool but it's not a everyday
'solution'. I would be the first to erase that evil OS from every
schools' computers ...

... if I had not to teach them how to use it (even the prospect of
installing a different Version of Win* would scare some teachers to death)
... if I had not to volunteer installing & administrating it (I can
easily avoid being asked to admin a Windows box!)
... if the programs teachers and pupils are used to would still run
[Wine might help]

Honestly I think that a Windows port would double/triple or more
gcompris' usage within months. Freeduc alone is not enough to fit
everybody's needs.
Compare the ease of clicking on an icon with rebooting into another OS.

A windows port would take about 40man*hours to complete IMHO.
Again I offer my proficiency but I cannot do it on my own.
    Christof

PS: IMHO MinGW+GtkWin do as much good to the OSS community as does
knoppix. Having a free native development environment on Win and even a
cross development tool is a blessing beyond measure ;-)
PPS: If nobody did it until december it looks like I will do it, but
don't count on it.