[gcompris-devel] Re: Installation experience

Mantas Kriaučiūnas monte at mail.lt
Wed Jun 25 07:43:13 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:
>Good news, I successfully installed freeduc 1.3 on all the computers of
>the schools Jean Moulin in blagnac (it's my kid's school) This school if
>a primary school for 6-10 years old.

It's nice to see the success of Freeduc, Gcompris, Debian and other free software ;)

>Still missing, I have not been abble to setup the printer. I try the
>knoppix menu for that but cups was not installed. trying apt-get install
>cups brings me to a 'no way' from debian who says is no more there ??
>Help needed there.

No problems with printer - if you have searched (apt-cache search cups) you would have understood where is the problem ;)
cups server is in cupsys package. I've writen simple printing in debian how-to, look at:

http://debian.home.lt/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=10

It is in Lithuanian, but I think it's easy to understand:

apt-get install cupsys cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-bsd

If you need more printer drivers - install cupsomatic-ppd and foomatic-filters packages

You can configure printers with any browser - simply go to http://localhost:631

>They also have a scanner on parallel port (it seems supported on Linux),
>but starting xsane, it detected nothing. Help again.

Sorry, I worked only with SCSI and usb scanners :( Maybe someone knows some debian scanning howtos ?

Happy to help,
Mantas Kriaučiūnas
--
Jabber ID: mantas at akl.lt		ICQ: mantiena <44451746>