[gcompris-devel] gcompris doesn't start on SuSE 8.2

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Jul 25 07:09:05 UTC 2003

Le ven 25/07/2003 à 15:34, Thorsten Harth a écrit :
> Hi to all,
>
> have upgraded my OS vom SuSE 8.1 to 8.2 with KDE 3.1 but now my
> current gcompris app doesn't work.
>
> Next step was to upgrade the gcompris to the latest available version
> (Release 3.0).
> But actually with no success. Every time I start gcompris, the screen
> changes (as expected),
> the music plays, the blue mouse pointer is visible, but thats it! No
> menu, no images are displayed,
> only a frame with the mouse pointer (which can be moved normally,
> without any interactions).
>
> So to return from this status I have to kill the windows manager
> (CTRL-ALT-Backspace).

Oups. Very bad.

Fist, it seems to be the odd refresh issue. Use gcompris 3.2 which
solves most of these bugs.

Second, test, run gcompris from the command line with the option -w to
have it in a window (not fullscreen)
Then once started in a window, move the window out of the screen back
and forth to see the if the refresh happens.

Last you can click to where you remember the buttons are to see if
gcompris runs correctly and start display things.

Also, check gcompris traces, if there is something strange send it.