[gcompris-devel] Re: Gcompris Version 2.0 en Francais

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Jan 7 09:06:10 UTC 2003

Patrice,

Your problem may be of interrest for others so I copy the gcompris-devel
list.

Changing the internal configuration of gcompris to another language is
always more complex that it ought to be.
The first problem we are facing is that in order to let any application
understand for example french, the french locale must be installed on
your system.
Unfortunatly, it may be harder than it seems. On mandrake, it is easy,
just add a package called locale-fr-xxx or something close.
On RedHat, NO WAY, this is selected at installation time. I have no clue
on how to add a locale after the install.
On others, debian, suse, I don't know...

Idealy, in gcompris, when your locale is not installed the flag gets a
red cross.
In the log of gcompris (run gcompris from a console), you will see a
message :
ARGhhhhh.
I just found out that the code is commented in version 2.0.0
It got so much trouble with UTF-8 that I commented that temporaly.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM. It will be fixed in next release.

For the chess tool, now gcompris requires to have gnuchess 5 or higher
installed.

Check it by the package number of gnuchess on your system or
type:
gnuchess
<here it display the version>

Unfortunatly there is no way to know the version of gnuchess earlier.
A discution hapenned between Yann our package maintainer for debian and
the gnuchess team.
They will add a regular --version in their next release.

Bruno.