[gcompris-devel] Background music

José JORGE jjorge at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 12:27:02 UTC 2003

Em Domingo, 21 de Dezembro de 2003 11:26, o Bruno Coudoin escreveu:
> Le dim 21/12/2003 à 07:35, Richard Boyce a écrit :
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I notice that no other sounds are played from gcompris once background
> > music starts playing. Console displays that /dev/dsp is inaccessible.
> > fuser -av /dev/dsp* shows no processes using the device.

I've studied a bit that and :
- under OSS drivers, only one program can access the soundcard. So only artsd
or esd can allow both sound and music the way they are implemented in
gcompris.
- under ALSA, it depends on the soundcard you have, it may play several sounds
at the same time on a hardware way. I've tested with the following
soundcards :
	Soundblaster 16 ISA		1 "voice"
	ESS 1869 ISA			2 "voices"
	Soundblaster PCI 128	1 "voice"
	Yamaha YMF740 PCI		32 "voices"

You can watch it with for your soundcard with ALSA driver loaded typing
"cat /proc/asound/pcm"
So as long as gcompris doesn't mix internally the sounds played, it will
depend not only in libao but also on hardware...

José