[gcompris-devel] Re: gcompris-devel digest, Vol 1 #424 - 5 msgs

bruno patin bruno.patin at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 18 09:02:03 UTC 2003

Hi all,

>-__--
>
>Message: 5
>Subject: Re: [gcompris-devel] First windows port trial
>From: Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr>
>To: gcompris-devel <gcompris-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
>Date: 18 Dec 2003 02:11:10 +0100
>
>Le lun 15/12/2003 à 12:34, Christof Petig a écrit :
>

>>Bruno Coudoin schrieb:
>>

>>>I tried to compile gcompris on windows using cygwin.
>>>

>>This is inexact. Which target do you use Win32/Cygwin [POSIX] or
>>Win32/MinGW [MSVCRT -mno-cygwin]?

Bruno and me (BrunoP.) are usinng win32/cygwin. In previous mail I said
that I foresaw to port to mingw (in order to delete unnecessary code
from cygwin) in another step. It will ask for a mingw port of the the
glib/gnome etc libraries or perhaps the use of the dll directly (for the
last point, I'm not used to doing that).

>I use Win32/Cygwin.
>I did install cycwin with setup.exe, and thne installed all the
>libraries from here:
>http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~s01397ms/cygwin/index.html.en
>
>When you say MSVCRT, it means you need Microsoft Visual C to compile?
>

>>>- no pthread. I emptied the body of all func in soundutils.
>>>

>>no pthread? Cygwin RT certainly has, here's a MinGW RT port:
>>http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/
>>

>Hum, perhaps I was missing some libs
>

>>>- can't load the plugins. The plugins are compiled and installed but i
>>>  am not sure everything is correct to make them loadable plugins.
>>>  Did not find a solution yet
>>>

>>I expected some difficulties here. But since I don't know anything about
>>the plugin loader gcompris uses, I can't tell more. I would try
>>libltdl.a (libtool) or gmodule or LoadLibrary (native approach)
>>

>gcompris uses the dlopen system call
>Perhaps I miss a library again or a compilation option difers.

The dlopen call is part of the cygwin libs (a wrapper of the LoadLibrary
call)  but... in unix (linux), the dlopen call can use symbols defined
in an exec and not in its windows counter part (due to the very nature
of windows) and the dll produced by cygwin are closed. It means that
they have to solve all the links internally (there are limits to what I
say but it is the problem we encounter for now) so when I will be at
this step, we'll see. I think as I know the structure of gcompris that
at max we'll have to export suymbols of the main in external dll but the
plugins having only a limited number of entry points could be simple.

Where am I ? Not so far. I took directly the assetml library (from cvs)
and tried to create the configure file (autogen.sh is given) but was
blocked by the the lack of the libraries mentionned by BrunoC. I'm
examining the configure.in file and see macro by macro what it means and
what libraries are really needed. In order to be coherent I will take
the same source and use the URL

http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~s01397ms/cygwin/index.html.en

beginning with glib and using X11 (I agree we'll have to pass to windows but I prefer to work in the same world then step by step adopting some new libraries). Perhaps am I too cautious  :-\ .

I will do this work step by step and as the gcompris package do use only the gnome canvas I think there will be no problem or so I hope  :-) .

there am I. I take as a goal to deliver something finished as a first port mid january in order to begin with deleting X11 and then porting to mingw. What do you think of this planning ?

brunoP.