[gcompris-devel] GCompris still not ready for 1.0

Mantas K. monte at mail.lt
Mon Feb 25 07:15:09 UTC 2002

Hi,

I think Gcompris still not ready for 1.0 version. There is why:

1. I want to ask (for the second time) why the lithuanian words (for
wordsgame), I've sent Bruno aren't in CVS ? I'm attaching them to this
letter again.

2. There are no instructions of how to compile CVS version of gcompris.
There are no config.sub, config.guess and other files. I tried to run
./automake.sh and later make, but got error message:
[root at mantas gcompris]# make
Makefile:505: *** missing separator.  Stop.

In 505 line of Makefile I saw:

@INTLTOOL_DESKTOP_RULE@

3. Is gcompris really internationalized now ? I mean other (non
iso-8859-1) encodings. Pre2 and pre3 still display 2 strange symbols
instead 1 non ascii lithuanian letter. Same is with russian and others
languages, that use non ISO-8859-1 encoding, I think.
If gcompris uses utf8 in translated xml files, then fonts must be used
in utf8 too. I don't know if gnome 1.4 can use utf8 fonts.
About the other possibility I talked in my earlied letters:
We must have to change the last key '-u' to '-p' in 'aclocal.m4' and/or
'configure' files string $(INTLTOOL_MERGE) $(top_srcdir)/po $< > After
doing it the strings won't be converted to UTF8 and we can use fonts
native encodings (ex. ISO-8859-13 for lithuanian, KOIR-8 for russian, etc.)
Bruno, you haven't understood me very good, when saying "I can't
hardcode specific fonts depending on the language."
I didn't mean harcoding, this was only an example. I think it would be
good if the change of locale setting in configuration board could change
font encoding too. This isn't hard to program: simplest way is to use
global variable for encoding and change this variable, when changing
locale setting in configuration board. Then in gdk_font_load function we
have to use encoding variable:
gdk_font = gdk_font_load
(strcpy("-adobe-times-medium-r-normal--*-180-*-*-*-*-",encoding_variable))
or maybe
gdk_font = gdk_font_load
(strcpy("-adobe-times-medium-r-normal--*-180-*-*-*-*-",(char
*)encoding_variable))

I don't remember C string functions exactly :(, but think you understand
me. This works for me, when I tested. If gnome 1.4 can't use utf8 fonts,
then we have to do in this way.