[gcompris-devel] Re: [seul-edu] Reflexions on a KDE-Edu program

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Mon Apr 8 03:36:02 UTC 2002

Le lun 08/04/2002 à 12:13, Herman Bruyninckx a écrit :
> On 8 Apr 2002, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I strongly believe a component approach is mandatory for the
> > maintenance, but it also makes the UI being consistent between different
> > activities.
>
> In this context, do you have any plans to move to CORBA or Bonobo
> components in the future?

I though to use this kind of technology one year ago but it was not
mature enough at that time. The drawback with these technology is that
it is complex to set up and develop with.
If we want more people involved on a project, we need to keep then entry
barrier low. Today, C knowledge and the gnome canvas is all you need to
know to create a new board in gcompris.
Now, I am not sure corba or bonobo would bring much to this project. Do
you have somthing in mind?

> > Basically, a board just need to provide a start, stop and pause entry
> > point. Then gcompris core will know how to use it.
>
> This would be easily portable to a real component interface, but
> probably also some geometric information is needed, as well as a
> description of `events' or `exceptions', and of a possible `grading
> system'.

For the grading system, it is our plan to have it in gcompris 2. Our
design is ready to include this but we lack the server side (central
repository).
This WE, I found ggz (http://ggz.sourceforge.net/)
I wonder if we could benefit from a such infrastrure for the grading
system but also user monitoring and help (chat is already in ggz). Also,
why not creating boards that can be played in group. It could create
group emulation to complete the multiplication table the fastest for
exemple, or dedicated board that are multiplayer oriented.

Bruno.