[gcompris-devel] Re: Again GCompris Lithuanian translations and flag :)

bruno bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Dec 16 08:48:01 UTC 2001

On ven, 2001-12-14 at 19:22, Mantas K wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  >For our information, do you use it at home or at school ?
>
> I'm trying to make Lihuanian schools free from Micro$oft and other
> non-free software. But most of Lithuanian teachers are against all new
> software, especialy if not from M$ :(
> In Lithuania government, Board of Education (ministry) are pretty
> corrupt and corrupt people doesn't like free and open source, because M$
> partners in Lithuania makes a payoff.
> Because of this using free software in lithuanian schools are very
> complicated, but not impossible. If software are translated to lihuanian
> language - then teachers and schoolchilds are not agains it (almost all
> commercial sofware in Lithuania are in English, but many users don't
> understand English).

That's great. We are on track but don't believe it is easier to manage
in France. Teachers tends to not care of computing at all and the
easiest way for them is to use windows :(
Anyway, we are there and I agree it will not be easy but I am confident
we will win in the long run. Freedom always wins...

>  >Many text is found in gcompris data files written in XML. A system is
>  >used to re-enter i18n text from xml file to .po files.
>  >The excact process is
>
> I don't understand. What mean "The excact process is " ????

I was describing the process to create .po files from .xml.in files.
That's not very important. What is important to remember is that
text to translate is locate in .po files except for some text only files
and audio files of course.

> And last question:
> When I recompile gcompris, I see all messages in lithuanian language,
> but GCompris displays ancented (non-ascii) characters incorrecty :(
> Maybe you know why? Maybe you can write me what do I have to do to make
> my translated messages visible correctly (now correctly are displayed
> only ascii part from Lithuanian encoding - ISO-8859-13, other symbols
> like scaron, aogonek, ccaron, etc. are displayed incorrectly)

I am afraid it is not possible today to display your characters in the
canvas. I believe this limitation has changes with Gnome 2 and the Pango
system for I18N.
We have not yet defined a migration plan for gcompris.

I am working on adding your po and flag in gcompris.
It should be in the CVS monday.