[gcompris-devel] Re: GCompris Lithuanian translation, some questions and suggestions

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Dec 13 10:18:06 UTC 2001

le jeu 13-12-2001 à 12:41, Mantas a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm translating GCompris to lithuanian language, but when I compile  translation (msgfmt), move compiled file to /usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES, I get only few messages in lithuanian language (only menu, help->about and message in clock board 'Set the clock to'), most of my translated messages are displayed in english. (Most of other programs, whitch use gettext don't need recompilation to display messages in other languages)

gcompris is a little bit more complex than usual application in terms of I18N.
Many text is found in gcompris data files written in XML. A system is used to
re-enter i18n text from xml file to .po files.
The excact process is

> When I recompile gcompris, I see all messages in lithuanian language, but GCompris displays ancented (non-ascii) characters incorrecty :(
>
> Also I can't translate one message from scales.board, because I can't find message
> "Set the masses in the decreasing order" in gcompris.pot
I believe this very message is in an xml file that has not yet be i18ned

> I think I've found error in draw.c -
>
> includes must be
>
> #include <libxml/tree.h>
> #include <libxml/parser.h>
>
> not
>
> #include <gnome-xml/tree.h>
> #include <gnome-xml/parser.h>
>
> (maybe this change is reguired only on Mandrake 8.1 on whitch I've tried ?)

You are correct. I fixed the cvs.

> Where has another (vertical) style of algebra operations dissapeared ?

If you are you looking for vertical operation, iremoved them because I was
not sure of its use.
Fortunatly, I kept it in the code and being vertical if an option in the xml file
that represent the algebra board.
from algebra.c:
/* If added with the sign | then the vertical layout is selected */
So using
mode="+|"
in the algebra_plus.xml.in will set the vertical mode.

> I have some suggestions:
>
> 1. In the plane board, it would be nice if the plane was changed to helicopter or air ballon (ex. as the one which is in win32 gimp installation, I can send it to you, if you want), as a plane normally can't fly backwards ;)

Good suggestion. I'll ask to Renaud which made all the good graphism of gcompris.

> 2. Also when clicking on sound button ex. "click on letter" game it isn't visually seen  that it is pressed

It is in the cvs. Next version will have more feedback.

> 3. It would be good, that the program could work on 800x600 resolution, because not all monitors are so powerful.

CVS version also has this.

I definitly should make a new release...

> 4. I guess kids would like if they could get some encouragement or compliment if they finish all levels succesfully.

We are working on that. Pascal contributed to this and some boards
already provide this kind of feedback.
We are still on it.

> I've attached lithuanian translation and Lithuanian flag for locale board. Maybe you can write me what do I have to do to make my translated messages visible correctly (now correctly are displayed only ascii characters) and can you add lithuanian language into the locale-board ?
>
> And thanks for nice game !!!

Thanks a lot.
For our information, do you use it at home or at school ?