[gcompris-devel] point API

pgeorges pascal.georges1 at free.fr
Mon Dec 3 11:48:02 UTC 2001

bruno a écrit :

> I made some major changes to the CVS:
> - removed the status bar.
> - removed its API
> - changed the size of gcompris.
> - reimplementation of the new score API 'boardwide'
> - added a command to make gcompris fullscreen like (it still needs some
> work to be full fullscreen)
>
> The most complex problem I have seen so far related to the resize is the
> train board. I am really sory Pascal :(
> Can you have a look to it to see what can be done ?
>
> Next I will try to remove the menu and put the help in gcompris control
> bar.
>
> That's all for this week end.

I didn't sync yet, so here are my early reflexions (hope it's not too
late) :

I believe board size should be fixed, or we'll get strange behaviors
(pixellisation or unreadable things, like fonts).
The board size should be 800x600 because I think most computers support
it. If a PC can't handle 800x600 and is limited to 640x480 this means
that it's so old that its memory should be something like 4 to 8 MB of
RAM (even 16 MB is a problem). Given that amount of memory the PC will
not be able to load correctly gcompris with all its libraries (gnome,
xml) without swapping. Then, don't think about playing OGG files or
animate pictures.
If a scale factor is applied to every widget, it will be more CPU
intensive, making animations even more difficult to play.

If you consider bitmap games like Adibou (or ages of empires ...), there
is no scale factors, and I think I know why : this can not be done on
the fly with good looking.
We should take advantage of others' experience.

Pascal