Quick survey: func(..) {..} versus (..) {..}

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:47:21 UTC 2014

On 26 July 2014 15:03, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, July 26, 2014 07:58:42 Jay Woods wrote:I actually expect
> there to be real-world limits on such things anyways as
> there is no guarantee that Module A used by  Module B will retain the same
> return signatures when the code is reloaded at runtime (hot reloading).
>
> Given the importance I'd like to see on multi-process architectures and
> therefore the message passing that will happen, the semantics of function
> calls are only going to be a certain (hopefully somewhat small) % of the
> means
> by which code is coupled together. I half-expect message passing typing to
> be
> more important than function return typing.

An example of an area where this causes problems is Java. In Java even
though it uses checked exceptions, the exceptions aren't part of the
function signature. It turns out that in some cases having an unexpected
exception thrown can cause the JVM to crash if you mix older code with
newer library versions (this was with stuff built against 1.2 running
against 1.3).

Rich.