funq: syntax that doesn't scare off C++ developers

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 25 11:03:26 UTC 2014

On Friday, July 25, 2014 12:18:22 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Aaron said that we don't want to be totally pure, but in that case we need
> to make a distinction between pure parts and impure ones. If we can count
> on f in above example to be pure, then we can do a graph redux and evaluate
> f(x) only once. (which would make the above examples equivalent.

That's a very good point and indeed in this area the language should be
'purely' functional.

So, clarification  time: assignment doesn't return a true/false but results in
success/failure. On success you have the literal value of the variable (since
it _is_ that value) and on failure you get an error.

--
Aaron J. Seigo