[FreeNX-kNX] More Trouble with NX 4 Client -> FreeNX

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Mon Sep 30 21:56:44 UTC 2013

Several months ago I posted on connection issues I'm having with NoMachine 4 clients connecting to FreeNX (NX 3.5) servers.  I continue to have these issues, and, for various reasons, am still trying to get it to work (rather than pursuing options like X2Go).  It's a long story, but I really would like to get this working.

The issue I'm having is that the connections from NX 4 clients to FreeNX work about 1 out of every 10 tries.  The rest of the time, the connections fail.  There's something in the start-up/negotiation of the session that is causing problems.  The last time I asked about this all I had was the error "Failure to negotiate at stage '10'" or something along those lines.  I've managed to make a little more progress in tracking down the problem.  The problem appears to be with nxagent and/or nxproxy shutting down prematurely.  Since this only happens with NX 4.0 clients, I can only assume that something timing-wise or one of the options that the NX 4 clients are causing the nxagent binary to crash.  I've further traced it down the nxcomp (libXcomp) library and something that's happening in there.  I was able to recompile the library with lots of tracing/debug turned on and get some more useful output.  At least, it'd be useful if I knew how to interpret it.  I've attached the session "errors" file (gzipped to minimize size) from one of the sessions - perhaps someone can take a look at it and help me make sense of it, especially to see where it's failing?

Thanks,
Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Confidential and Proprietary Information.  If this message is not intended for you, you are strictly prohibited from using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please delete the message from your mailbox.  This e-mail may contain export-controlled material and should be handled accordingly.