[FreeNX-kNX] The nomachine window dissapears when connecting to freenx from windows 7

Marcelo Taube mail.marcelo.taube at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:51:35 UTC 2012

> > last time i tried without shadow the system was unable to load the
> > window manager, now tried with gnome and seems all right. Still I
>
> This sounds like a Linux issue. Was there an error message??
> Did the same configuration work without an NX involvement??

Dont worry about this one, gnome is ok, I am sure the window manager issue
is probably a misconfiguration and it is more important to get the
shadowing working.
I see an interesting line at the first logs i sent you in this mail thread:

Poller::shmInit: WARNING! Couldn't set uid for shm segment

Its on the server side and I see it is related to shared memory.

> Checked the knowledge base but found almost nothing.
> > There was nothing mentioning windows 7 in this way.
> > Someone mentioned that black screen  might happen if the
> > server does not support shared memory.
> > Do you think it might be the problem?
>
> Well do you see :-
>
> Xlib:  extension "MIT-SHM" missing on display ":XXXX.0".
>
> . . .in your logs ??

Which logs do you mean? Its not in the .nx directory in linux neither in
the .nx directory on windows and not in /var/log/nx.

> Are you running an old nxclient ??
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR08G02256
>
> Its nxclient 3.5.0-9 here, I think it is the up to date version.

> > Any other ideas?
>
> Well . . .
>
> You report no error messages and your window client
> connect fine without shadowing.
>
> You say you managed to get shadowing working from
> Linux, which suggested you know how it works . . .
>
> but
> in your original post you are trying to connect
> to a Local session.
>
> 0 Local BE77ED951144F03C3A18C25774D7E3A1 -------- Running X0 (Local)
>
> NX Shadowing will only connect to another running
> NX session.

Strange. I connected from linux to my local session by choosing shadow and
the chossing the :0 from the list of opened sessions. I even opened the nx
window inside the local screen and got the nice recursive view of my screen
.So if should not be able to connect to the local screenm It surprises me
that I managed to do it somehow.

Still I know that vnc server was enabled on that client which could be the
cause, but I did not choose vnc server from the connection options of
nxclient, i just choose shadow.

Other relevant facts:

Even when I succeed to start a non-shadow session, I am not able to
reconnect if I close the nx window. I reopen the connection to linux,
choose "unix" and not "shadow" my old session gets displayed in the list
but It fails to connect to it.
Two windows eventually pop up, one says " Could not yet establish the
connection to the remote proxy. Do you want to terminate the current
session? " . Later another window pops up saying: " NX client was not able
to establish an unencrypted channel with the server. This could be due to
the remote server being behind a firewall. If this is the case you should
be able to run your session by unchecking the option 'Disable SSL
encryption in all traffic' in the configuration dialog" .

If i try to connect to the old session with "shadow" after I close the
window it does not get listed at all.
When i tryed to connect to that session through "shadow" before I close the
window I succeed completely.

To summarize I can connect to new unix sessions and shadow sessions while
someone is connected.
I cannot connect to my local view from windows but yes from linux. I cannot
reconnect to old unix sessions through "unix" option or "shadow" option.