[FreeNX-kNX] Problems With FreeNX and PAM-SecurID/RSA Authentication

Paul E. Virgo Paul.E.Virgo at nasa.gov
Wed Apr 4 17:38:29 UTC 2012

Members,

I've been having issues with getting any of my NX clients to properly
authenticate against the FreeNX server on a remote machine. I have
enabled SSH only--per our security directives--because we use SecurID
PIN+token authentication for our SSH connections. Here's the behavior I
get when I use nxnode-login to test:

[root at s4pt pam.d]# nxnode-login ssh pvirgo 22 nxnode --check
can't read "expect_out(1,string)": no such variable
     while executing
"set password $expect_out(1,string)"
     (file "/usr/bin/nxnode-login" line 57)
[root at s4pt pam.d]#

This would happen if I were to attempt to put in the SecurID PIN+token
combo, so I figured I was 'tripping' something that the expect script
couldn't handle, but then I went ahead--on a second attempt--and typed a
carriage return, and got this:

root at s4pt pam.d]# nxnode-login ssh pvirgo 22 nxnode --check

*  This US Government computer is for authorized users only.  By
accessing    *
*  this system you are consenting to complete monitoring with no
expectation  *
*  of privacy.  Unauthorized access or use may subject you to
disciplinary    *
*  action and criminal
prosecution.                                           *
Enter PASSCODE:

which would make sense, but when typing the PIN+token, I just get the
characters echo'ed back and the prompt just sits there. I feel like I'm
closer to getting this working. Was wondering if anyone had any
ideas/suggestions? Do I need to manipulate something within the expect
script portion somewhere?

Thanks.

--
Paul E Virgo