[FreeNX-kNX] NX session $DISPLAY set to ":$PORT_NUM", how to configure it to '$HOSTNAME:$PORT_NUM'?

Mark Christian MCHRISTI at altera.com
Thu Oct 20 07:16:42 UTC 2011

I need DISPLAY to be set to $HOSTNAME:$PORT_NUMBER in order to enable X forwarding to the NX host.  I can accomplish this for bash users by placing the following in ~/.bashrc

export DISPLAY=${HOSTNAME}${DISPLAY}

e.g.:
$ echo $DISPLAY
:1001
$ export DISPLAY=$HOSTNAME$DISPLAY
$ echo $DISPLAY
myhost:1001

Unfortunately this cannot be done for tcsh/csh users, since it appears NX does not source ~/.cshrc

Is there an easy way to configure NX to have DISPLAY set using the NX $hostname?

~$ cat /etc/redhat-release ; rpm -qa|grep nx; cat /etc/nxserver/node.conf
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

freenx-0.7.3-7.el5.centos.x86_64
nx-3.4.0-7.el5.centos.x86_64

NX_LOG_LEVEL=4
NX_LOGFILE=/var/log/nx/nxserver.log
COMMAND_MD5SUM="md5sum"
AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X=""

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.