[FreeNX-kNX] kded4 runs away. A bit O.T.for this group now

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Tue Oct 18 11:40:46 UTC 2011

Freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 18/10/2011 11:07:52:

> Hi all,
>
> I did some workaround to achieve a "quick and dirty" fix to this
problem.
> It assumes that a zombie session is composed of a single kded4 process
> that stays alone, and that this situation will never appear in another
> situation (I'm not sure of that, but it seems to be true).

Well . . .

If a user logs out then logs in again, they will leave an
orphaned kded4 (they are not really zombies) which may be
taking a whole CPU core to 100%.
A few users logging in and out can stop the whole machine
this way
and
can certainly stop you logging in remotely to deal with it.

The way you designed your script, counting processes by
username only every hour, you will miss almost all of these
because
your script needs to run after log out and before re-login

So
I recommend you use the startkde /usr/shutdown/kded4 pkill
script anyway, which will deal with all orphaned kded4 at
user logout (except where startkde doesn't complete).

(if a user is logged in more than once running kde,
their other sessions will loose their kded4 too,
but we don't allow that sort of thing here)

If you want to run another cron script besides,
then my advice is to look for any kded4 using
at 90%+ CPU . .  ..

** this being I think the main issue here **

 . . . and kill it (it won't matter if the user
is still logged in)

Though I haven't had kded4 using a lot of cpu
I have had serious issues with other runaways,
even during an active user session
(the hp python printer applet being a prime offender
but also from firefox with multimedia, acroread,
even dolphin)

So all my multi user app-sever machines now run a
renice script every 3 mins which renices 20/ionices -n7
everything which is running at 95%+ and has used way
more total CPU than I expect from the program during
a user session.

90% CPU use soon clocks up an a huge number.

This allows me to keep control of remote machines
'cos I can always still ssh into them, and
the users never see the servers permanently
locking up anymore either.