[FreeNX-kNX] freenx-server problem : kdeinit4 wont terminate

Matthieu.Rioteau at skf.com Matthieu.Rioteau at skf.com
Mon Oct 17 08:08:09 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

Thanks for these good explanations and support. ;-)
Some more comments in your mail body below.
I will maybe think about writing a "smart" script that will clean up the
zombie sessions automatically.

One last thing. Does somebody know if the KDE version included in Kubuntu
11.10 solve the problem ?

Thank again for help.

Regards,
Matthieu

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 17/10/2011 08:48:25:

> From: chris
> To: freenx-knx at kde.org
> Date: 17/10/2011 08:48
> Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] freenx-server problem : kdeinit4 wont
terminate
> Sent by: freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org
>

> freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 14/10/2011 12:58:42:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have currently a problem using freenx-server. When the session is
closed
> > by using the top right closing button of the client window, then click

> > "End", the "kdeinit4" process doesn't terminate and stays alive. As en

> Do you mean the session's kded4, which was SPAWNED by kdeinit,
> doesn't termintate when you
> end your NX session by using the NX window's X button or Ctrl-Alt-T
> and
> then choosing "Terminate" from the "Disconnect Terminate Cancel" dialog
???

That exactly what happens. The remaining process is : "kdeinit4: kded4
[kdeinit]"

> If so, you are probably noticing accumulating orphan kded4 processes,
> one for each session you close in this manner ????

Indeed.

> > effect, the NX session terminates correctly but the pts session stays.
> > But if the session is closed through the KDE menu ("Leave" then
"logout"),
> > everything terminates correctly and there is no more remaining
process.

> yup
>

> > The system is as follow :
> > Server : FreeNX server 0.7.3 on a Kubuntu 11.04
> > Client : NoMachine client 3.4.0-7 on Windows XP
> >
> > I change the debug level of the NX server to 6, but it
> > indicates no problem.
> >
> > Could somebody help ?
>
> Terminating the X session this way causes kded4 to
> lock up and refuse to close on a SIGHUP or SIGTERM
>
> The various running kde processes report :-
>
>          "Fatal IO error: client killed"
>
> kdeinit4 then responds by trying to clean up its processes :-
>
>         kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
> and
>         kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> and
> then it terminates itself
> but
> this has no effect on kded4, which now will only end
> on a SIGKILL.
>

> From debug it looks like it's left waiting on a mutex or
> something . . .
>
> QWaitCondition::wait(QMutex*,unsigned long)()from/usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

> On the other hand, if you end ksmserver via kicker
> leaving X running whilst kde sorts itself out, then kded4
> ends when it's told to.
>

> So far most reported problems with kded4 seem to be
> include 100%CPU utilization running away with the
> machine, in comparison with which this problem is fairly
> benign, but it's still annoying htey haven't got around
> to fixing it yet.

It sometimes happens that the "zombie" processes takes 100% CPU. But
that's not every time.

> In the short term your options include:-
>
> 1/ telling your users to log out via kicker

I chosen this one already. ;-)

> 2/ just clearing up the orphan processes every so often

And this one also.

> 3/ adding a command file to the kde shutdown scripts
>         e.g. create the following 3 line file
>            /usr/shutdown/kded4.sh
> as
>

> #! /bin/sh
> #
> pkill -9 kded4
>

> then set the file to execute
>
>         sudo chmod 555 /usr/shutdown/kded4.sh
>
> That's for Opensuse.
> It might need to be elsewhere on planet KUbuntu.
>
> kde will then kill ALL YOUR USENAME'S instances of
> kded4 whenever you end a session.
>

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Matthieu
> >

> Note:- This is a kde problem not a FreeNX problem

I understand it well from your explanations.

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ