[FreeNX-kNX] Some questions about freenx

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Oct 13 08:46:42 UTC 2011

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 13/10/2011 08:17:13:

> Sorry, you are right.

Oh no he isn't . . . .

. . . but we can only tell now that you have told us
what you are actually running (always a helpful start)

> I've installed "freenx" server.

Yup

> The client is from nomachine (the
> only client I've found is qtnx, but doesn't have all options that
> nomachine client have).
> This is what I've installed:
>
> nxclient-3.5.0-7   --> From Nomachine
> freenx-0.7.3-7.el5.centos    --> From CentOS rempositories

. . . this rpm is FreeNX from FreeNX.

Try
        sudo rpm -qil freenx-0.7.3-7.el5.centos

to see what it contains.

> libnxcl-0.9.0-3.el5.centos  -->  "
> nx-3.4.0-7.el5.centos    -->  "

This rpm contains the Open-Source NX libraries and nxagent
compiled by Centos (extras) from the source.

You can see all about it if you do:-

        sudo rpm -qil nx-3.4.0-7.el5.centos

> Thus why I've put the questions, as I don't know if freenx supports
> all things I'm asking. This are my questions for Freenx.
>
>   1- Is recommendable to install it nxnode package? Which are the
> benefits and the inconvenients? This is from NoMachine, so I suppose
> this is no necesary, right?

nxnode is only separte from the rest of FreeNX in the
Ubuntu way of doing things.

If you look in /usr/bin/ you will see nxnode already there
supplied by the

         freenx-0.7.3-7.el5.centos.i386.rpm

or whatever architecture you are on.

>   2- Does freenx support kerberos authentication?

Well ssh does, and by default FreeNX uses ssh.

> How can I pass  kerberos authentication to server?

Don't you really mean "pass server authentication to kerberos" ???

Default settings cause FreeNX to log in twice over ssh.

Once using ssh rsa with a key file in the nxclient as user nx
ssh giving encryption over your network . . .
then
again using ssh password, this time as your normal user, and
locally from the nx server to itself (i.e. ssh user at 127.0.0.1)

You can use user or su authentication instead (FYI)

>   3- Does freenx support printer shares? I've tried, but can't see
> client printers when running server applications.

You can print to your windows-workstation/samba printers
over the NX /ssh tunnel provided you have an nxnode which
has been patched ( I'm not sure about centos' )

>   4- Does freenx support resources shares? Also tried, but unable.

You can mount a windows/samba workstation share on the NX server.

>   5- Can I access a session from two different computers at the same
> time? And access it with a different user (for remote assistant)?

Yup. Look up shadowing in this list. There are some recent
centos related postings.

>   6- The same, but only for shadowing, without interaction?

A setting change from answer 5

>  Thanks

You're welcome.

Isn't there some centos documentation ???
Sabuj and Akemi were talking of a wiki . . .