[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Windows share problem

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon May 2 09:21:52 UTC 2011

Agustin Castaño <morsapc at gmail.com> wrote on 02/05/2011 01:31:58:

> Hi, I am connecting from a Windows 7 machine to a Centos 5 - Freenx
setup.
> When I enable the option "Enable printer and file sharing" on the NX
> client, the following error appears: "Info: Share: '//PC-1/D' failed
> to mount: /usr/bin/nxnode: line 1404: smbmount: command not found".
> The error is right, the command "smbmount" is not found because it
> is deprecated. CIFS shuould be used instead.
> What can I do?

Depending upon what centos have done with their version of nxnode,
you may have a number of options, but the cover-all approach
is to set in
/etc/nxserver/node.conf

COMMAND_SMBMOUNT=/sbin/mount.cifs
# The key that contains the name of the complete path of command name
# 'smbumount'.
COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT=/sbin/umount.cifs
# The key that contains the name of the complete path of command name
# 'mount.cifs'.
COMMAND_SMBMOUNT_CIFS=/sbin/mount.cifs
# The key that contains the name of the complete path of command name
# 'umount.cifs'.
COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT_CIFS=/sbin/umount.cifs
SAMBA_MOUNT_SHARE_PROTOCOL="both"

# FreeNX with ENABLE_SAMBA_PRELOAD="1" will automatically setup
# port 445 and 139 and forward them to the used samba port.
#
# This enables samba browsing to the local subnet in for example
# konqueror.
#
ENABLE_SAMBA_PRELOAD="1"

Making sure you point to an extant mount.cifs and umount.cifs

You will also have to set mount.cifs and umount.cifs as
         suid
which can be flagged a security risk . . .
eg. samba themselves advise not doing this.

I recompiled mine so they only work with command line
parameters and saved separate versions for NX but
most people seem not to bother about this issue.

You may find some issues with the windows server
process being disabled if there is no LAN connection,
so watch out for this if you use a 3G connection
which thinks it is a modem.

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ