[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Trouble with rdp tunneling

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Jul 11 08:04:09 UTC 2011

Joseph Simonds <greenwireless at gmail.com> wrote on 01/07/2011 20:40:59:

> Hi -
>
> I have been using freenx on ubuntu 10.04 for a while now to connect
> to a windows machine via RDP tunnel. I absolutely love the speed and
> responsiveness as compared to directly connecting via RDP. I just
> updated packages on the linux server and noticed a new version got
> installed from the freenx ppa team. Now when I try to connect with
> the windows tunnel it gives me this error in /home/user/.nx/some-
> unique-key/session: /usr/lib/nx/nxnode: line 785:
> /usr/lib/nx/nxdesktop: No such file or directory. But if I connect
> directly to the gnome desktop running on the linux server it
> connects no problem. Any idea what could be going on here?

I never use RDP (or ubuntu), so I might not be the best person
to answer this . . . . however

As I understand it . . .

nxdesktop used to be a bundled version rdesktop, but this
practice of bundling was was discontinued some versions ago
in favour of using the normal external rdesktop.

The selection of bundled/external can still however be made
in nxnode by setting ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXDESKTOP
but
nxloadconfig checks at program launch for the existance of the
nxdesktop executable
and (re)sets ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXDESKTOP=1 if it can't find it.

THEN, as execution continues . . .

If ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXDESKTOP=1
nxserver changes type from windows to windows-helper.

(It also used to set application=nxdesktop-helper
which is a wrapper script for the external rdesktop,
presumably the need for wrapping being the reason for
including a bundled version.

Nowadays, application seems to be set to NULL in nxnode)

THEN . . . . in nxnode

If type=windows
nxdesktop gets started by nxnode at "Start the wanted agent"
rdesktop as it was)with application=NULL

This causes a failure, because nxdesktop no longer exists !!

**HOWEVER, type is changed to windows-helper by nxserver,
when it can't find nxdesktop
so
I can't quite see how nxnode gets to thinking it should
execute nxdesktop**

OR

If type=windows-helper
then nxagent gets started by default.
It used to run nxdesktop_helper as an application, but
now it seems to be set to run xterm.

It seems to tunnel straight through to the RDP machine.

It sounds to me like you have ended up with a mix of
versions, or something got corrupted.

Try deinstall+delete remnants/reinstall

Good luck !!